TWO SHORT LECTURES

Some of you already know; I am a big fan of Mary Ruefle. Her new collection of texts is just … brilliant! To give you an idea of how she writes, I will quote the two first of her TWENTY-TWO SHORT LECTURES:

WHY ALL OUR LITERARY PURSUITS ARE USELESS

Eighty-five percent of all existing species are beetles and various forms of insects.

English is spoken by only 5 percent of the world’s population.

WHY THERE MAY BE HOPE

One of the greatest stories ever written is the story of a man who wakes to find himself transformed into a giant beetle.

*   *   *

Mary Ruefle:

Madness, Rack, and Honey: Collected Lectures

(2012), Wave Books

1. Ha! Lovely! I’m reading Orhan Pamuk (and living down the street from his museum this month) and feeling the bug-like similarities in the work. Perhaps it takes an insect quality to make it big. 🙂

Yes, that might be a good point!
      How is his museum?

1. Reading the book (Museum of Innocence) before I go on the tour. Some of his books I have loved, but sadly this one is a book I’m dragging myself through… We’ll see! Maybe in the end, I’ll just admire the outside.

I had trouble with the book too, but the actual museum seems fascinating… Hope you’ll find it more attractive than the text!

2. Rebecca H. says:

She is a name I will make sure to check out!

Please do, I like her a lot! Beautiful, thought provoking & inspiring!

3. I love her poetry, which I’ve read in journals, but I haven’t read any of her collected poems yet. If poems is what you call them…”texts” works…though I consider them poems. Insight and humor in these two.

John Cage said:
      “As I see it, poetry is not poetry by reason of its content or ambiguity, but by reason of its allowing musical elements (time, sound) to be introduced into the world of words. Thus, traditionally, information no matter how stuffy was transmitted in poetry.”