Going Wild – a collective list

Between the laundry and the fetching kids from school,

that’s how birds enter my life.

I listen.

11. Richard Mabey
  12. Patrick Leigh Fermor: A Time of Gifts, Between the Woods and the Water
  13. Jill Fredston: Rowing to Latitude – Journeys Along the Arctic’s Edge
  14. Edward Abbey: Desert Solitaire
  15. John Hay
  16. Aldo Leopold
  17. John Haines (particularly his poetry)
  18. Ellen Meloy: Eating Stone – Imagination and the Loss of the Wild
  19. Kathleen Dean Moore: Riverwalking – Reflections on Moving Water

1. dianajhale says:

Some suggestions new to me here – I shall definitely check them out so thanks for posting!

2. Anthony says:

It is a great list. I’ve just bought ‘Edgelands’ by Paul Farley and Michael Symmons Roberts, which looks like a worthy addition to this theme.

3. Good list! I keep meaning to read Solnit’s book; you’ve provided me with yet another reason to get to it. You might add Philip Lopate’s works. And Mark Spragg, “Where Rivers Change Direction.”

If you can find it, Paul Shepheard wrote a peculiar little text I quite enjoy called “The Cultivated Wilderness.” I haven’t heard of Meloy’s book, and now I wonder if it contains some of the same themes as Shepheard’s. Ah well! More to read!!

Solnit is really great, I keep rereading her works. I have used Lopate’s on the personal essay quite a lot, but I guess you are recommending some of his other books?
      Mark Spragg is new to me.
      Thank you!

4. Sigrun, I will be mentioning this post with its list on June 23rd on my blog. I will be providing a link to here. You’ll be able to read my post at http://rosemarywashington.wordpress.com.

5. jane tims says:

Hi. I love your insight into all things written. I agree with your assessment of Annie Dillard. Her ‘Teaching a Stone to Talk’ is one of my favorite books. Jane

oh – (blush) – thank you!
      lately i have been reading more poetry than prose, but also now with a special attention to nature – as seen e.g. in the beautiful Radial Symmetry by Katherine Larson: https://omstreifer.wordpress.com/2012/11/26/radial-symmetry/

1. jane tims says:

Hi. I had a look. She does write beautifully. I love the idea of where the rain starts and stops. Jane

6. Kim says:

you might already know these writers, but i recently discovered them and since they’re nature-writers, I you might be interested:

Barry López (Arctic Dreams, Winter Count and many more.)
    Barbara Hurd (Entering The Stone, Walking the Wrack Line, Stirring the Mud)
    Rick Bass (Winter: Notes from Montana, The Sky, The Stars, The WIlderness, and many more.)

Thank you!
      I know – and really like López. Hurd & Bass are new to me, thank you so much for recommending them!